Saturday, February 23, 2013

The Plan

I decided after all these years it was time to put some effort into Ed and see what i could do with him.

My plan is very simple, rebuild all the running gear and brakes, replace all the rubber seals and put together a car that is drivable standard looking but with some basic modifications to make it more interesting to drive today.

Other than the head work, extractors and a DCOE 40, The engine will be standard, in the future i will put a warm cam in it, but given the latest development (a low mileage rebuilt engine at a good price) i'll be sticking with that and focusing my time and money on things that need to be done.

I intend to paint the car myself, something I've never done before but I've always wanted to give it a go. My thoughts are, for the $300 its going to cost me for the paint (and how rough the paint is now), if i stuff it up i can always pay someone to redo it. I'll be stripping pretty much the entire car to bare metal (did i mention the paint was bad?)

Other than the paint the body work is pretty good with the exception of the rear valance and the bottom of the doors. I've sourced replacement panels/repair sections from the UK to  repair or replace. Now all i need to do is find someone to weld the repair sections into the doors :)

The rest of the work will be focused on the suspension, and brakes.  1/2" lowering block for the rear spring, a rebuilt pair of Koni classics, new bushes all around.  Up front lower springs, Munro shocks (till i can get something better) Dimpled and slotted rotors matched with nice pads. Nothing too major, just some minor tweaks to improve the handling.

No comments:

Post a Comment